The web's best homemade sausage recipes, we show you how to make sausage using your meat and our Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe, sausage making tips and techniques. To the uninformed, a product that bears the name of “sweet Italian sausage” would seem to imply that it has a sugary sweetness about it, not necessarily so. Sweet Italian sausage is a term used by sausage makers to differentiate mild Italian sausage from hot Italian sausage.
Sweet Italian Sausage Recipe
4 1/2 lbs pork butt (2.1 kg)
1/2 lb pork back fat (227 g)
2 1/2 tbsp table salt (54.8 g)
1/2 tsp coriander, ground (0.85 g)
1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar (7.35 g)
2 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper (6.5 g)
1 1/2 tbsp fennel seed, cracked (16.2 g)
1 1/2 tbsp paprika (10.8 g)
1/2 cup ice cold water (118 ml)
32-35mm prepared hog casings
1. Chill pork/fat to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 3/16” (5mm) plate.
2. Combine ground pork/fat with remaining ingredient, mix/knead well until the mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Taste test by cooking a small thin patty, cool patty briefly prior to tasting, add additional seasonings if desired.
4. Stuff the seasoned sausage batter into prepared 32-35mm hog casings; twist into 5-6” (13-15 cm) links.
5. To use bulk style, stuff meat batter into poly meat bags or shape the batter mixture into equal size patties.
6. Pan fry, grill, broil or bake fresh sausage at medium heat until it’s brown on the outside and no longer pink inside.*
7. Refrigerate up to 5 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
Delicious as it is versatile, sweet Italian sausage can be grilled over charcoal and served atop a hard roll smothered with sautéed onions and bell peppers or served as a breakfast sausage with a side of eggs and hash browns.
Hunters may use venison in place of the pork butt to produce an outstanding sweet Italian sausage. Use 75-80% lean venison trim to 25-20% pork fat.
*The USDA suggests cooking fresh sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C) when checked with a quick-read thermometer. It takes about 10 seconds for the temperature to be accurately displayed with this unit.