We sold this mildly seasoned version of skinless kielbasa at local gatherings during our tenure at South Fork Sausage. It was the coarse, meaty, exterior, resulting from the skinless process that helped to make this sausage a local favorite. The irregular surface of the kielbasa absorbed smoke more easily adding to the overall flavor.
3 1/2 lbs beef chuck, marbled (1.58 kg)
1 1/2 lbs pork butt (680 g)
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt (48.7 g)
1 tsp Prague Powder #1 (5.7 g)
1/2 tsp thyme powder (0.95 g)
1 1/2 tsp marjoram, ground (2.1 g)
2 1/2 tsp garlic powder (7.75 g)
2 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper (6.5 g)
1 tbsp granulated sugar (14.7 g)
1 1/2 tbsp mustard seed, whole (19.8 g)
1 cup non-fat dry milk (94.6 g)*
1 cup ice cold water (236 ml)
36-38mm cellulose casing
1. Chill beef and pork to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 3/16” (5mm) plate.
2. Combine ground meat with remaining ingredients, mix together well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Emulsify batter in food processor until smooth paste is obtained, add crushed ice to keep meat paste below 50°F (10°C).
4. Stuff meat paste into cellulose casing, tie into 4” (10.2 cm) links, and refrigerate overnight to cure.
5. Next day, cook product in a 170°F (77°C) hot water bath until it reaches an internal temperature of 152°F (67°C)*.
6. Remove product from water bath, shower with cold water until internal temperature of the sausage drops to 110°F (43°C).
7. Cut away the casings, shower briefly with hot water to remove surface grease, dry at room temperature for 1 hour.
8. Refrigerate product up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
Pink curing salt #1 (Prague Powder #1, Insta Cure #1) is important in the production of homemade sausage because it inhibits the growth of bacteria, reduces spoilage, and improves the color and flavor of the finished product.
*The USDA recommends that the internal temperature of fresh sausage reach at least 160°F (70°C) when checked with a quick-read digital thermometer.
*You may use soy-protein concentrate in place of non-fat dry milk.