Potato Sausage Recipe
2 1/2 lbs beef chuck (1.13 kg)
1 1/2 lbs fatty pork butt (680 g)
1 1/2 cups onion, diced (171 g)
2 cups potatoes, peeled, diced (228 g)
2 tbsp table salt (43.8 g)
1/2 tsp allspice (1.2 g)
1/2 tsp onion powder (1.8 g)
1 tsp mace, ground (2.6 g)
1 1/2 tsp white pepper (4.1 g)
1 cup heavy cream (240 ml)
35-38mm prepared hog casings
1. Chill beef and pork to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 1/4” (6mm) plate.
2. Grind raw onions and potatoes one time through a 3/8” (10mm) plate.
3. Combine ground meat, onions and potatoes with remaining ingredients; mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
5. Stuff the seasoned sausage batter into prepared 35-38mm hog casings; twist into 5-6” (13-15 cm) links.
6. To use bulk style, stuff meat batter into poly meat bags or shape the batter mixture into equal size patties.
7. Pan fry, grill, broil or bake fresh sausage at medium heat until it’s brown on the outside and no longer pink inside.*
8. Refrigerate up to 5 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 3 months.
Place potato sausage in a large skillet, add enough water to cover links. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Remove fully cooked sausage from the water and place in a covered dish; allow to rest for 5 minutes to firm. Finish on a griddle, grill, broil or bake until browned.