Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausage Recipe
The addition of an apple chicken sausage link to the breakfast table is certain to perk up the morning routine in your house. Made with the flesh of chicken and sometimes turkey, either of which works together with the tenderness of the chicken and the sweetness of dried apples to produce a deliciously lean and moist sausage. For more recipes and info check out the
5 lbs chicken thighs w/skin (2.27 kg)
2 1/2 tbsp table salt (54.8 g)
1/4 tsp allspice (0.60 g)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (1.0 g)
1/2 tsp ginger powder (1.15 g)
1 1/2 tsp rubbed sage (1.95 g)
2 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (6.25 g)
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced (57 g)
1 cup apple juice concentrate (200 ml)
3 cups tart apple, peeled, diced (340 g)
32-35mm prepared hog casings
1. Chill chicken thighs to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 1/4” (6mm) plate.
2. Combine ground chicken with remaining ingredients in a large bowl; mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Do a taste test by cooking a small thin patty, cool patty briefly, taste, add additional seasonings if desired.
4. Stuff the seasoned sausage batter into prepared hog casings; twist into 5-6” (13-15 cm) links.
5. To use bulk style, stuff meat batter into poly meat bags or shape the batter mixture into equal size patties.
6. Pan fry, grill, broil or bake fresh sausage at medium heat until it’s brown on the outside and no longer pink inside.*
7. Refrigerate up to 5 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
*The USDA suggests cooking fresh sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C) when checked with a quick-read thermometer. It takes about 10 seconds for the temperature to be accurately displayed with this unit.
If you prefer to use a synthetic casing in place of a 22-24mm natural casing, you may stuff the sausage batter into a 22mm clear collagen casing.