Sweet And Spicy Jerky Recipe
Browse the webs top jerky recipes, we'll teach you how to make jerky, really good jerky on the first try, with your meat and our Sweet And Spicy Jerky Recipe. It’s the mild taste of chicken, in addition to a special marinade, which transforms the chicken flesh into a delectable snack food.
5 lbs chicken breast meat (2.27 kg)*
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt (48.8 g)
1 1/4 tsp Prague Powder #1 (7.0 g)
1 1/4 tsp cardamom (3.5 g)
1 1/4 tsp ginger powder (2.88 g)
2 1/2 tsp white pepper (6.8 g)
2 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (5.5 g)
2 1/2 tsp onion powder (9.0 g)
2 1/2 tbsp dry mustard powder (17.3 g)
1/3 cup lemon juice (75 ml)
2/3 cup granulated sugar (147 g)
2 1/2 cups ice cold water (590 ml
1. Cut away all visible fat from the chicken breasts, chill to 31°F (-0.55°C), and slice into 1/4” (0.64 cm) thick strips
2. Combine remaining ingredients in non-reactive container; mix well. Add meat strips, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
3. Arrange meat strips on oiled screens in a single layer, leave space between the pieces to allow sufficient air flow.
4. Dry meat strips at 145°F (63°C) in usual manner until it is dried to about 40-50% of its original weight (green weight).*
5. Properly dried jerky will keep up to 2 weeks in a sealed container or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
Although pink curing salt #1 isn’t required in the production of homemade jerky, it is recommended because it inhibits the growth of bacteria, reduces spoilage and improves the overall color and flavor of the finished product.
*To test for doneness, remove one piece of jerky from your drying device and allow it to cool slightly. Bend the test piece into the shape of a horseshoe. If it cracks but doesn’t break, it’s considered dry enough and ready to eat.
Because of the possibility of microorganism contamination, do not reuse the marinade once the meat has been removed. Be safe and discard marinade.
Look for meat cuts that have the most lean meat for the money. Good cut choices include top and bottom round, eye of round, sirloin, and flank steak.
*Dark meat can be used in place of the breast meat if you remove the fat.