Ring Bologna Recipe
Browse the Web's most trusted homemade sausage recipes, and let us show you how to make delicious ring bologna using your meat and our proven Ring Bologna Recipe.
3 1/2 lbs beef chuck, marbled (1.58 kg)
1 1/2 lbs fatty pork butt (680 g)
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt (48.7 g)
1 tsp Prague Powder #1 (5.7 g)
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder (1.15 g)
1 tsp garlic powder (3.1 g)
1 tsp mace, ground (2.6 g)
2 1/2 tsp white pepper (6.75 g)
1 tbsp paprika (7.2 g)
2 tbsp corn syrup solids (27.6 g)
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk (47.3 g)*
1 1/2 cups crushed ice (198 g)
38mm x 18” (46 cm) beef middle*
1. Chill beef and pork to 31°F (-0.55°C), grind two or three times through a 1/8” (3mm) plate.*
2. Combine ground beef and pork with remaining ingredients; mix well until the mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Stuff meat batter into beef middle and tie off into 18” (46 cm) sausage rings. Refrigerate overnight to cure.
4. Next day, hang rings in a preheated 130°F (54°C) smoker, dampers wide open, hold at this temperature for one hour.
5. Add wood chips, close vents, gradually (in half hour increments) raise smoker temperature to 170°F (77°C).
6. Hold at 170°F (77°C) until links reach an internal temperature of 152°F (67°C)*.
7. Upon reaching 152°F (67°C), remove links and shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F (43°C).
8. Hang ring bologna at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
9. Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months
You can reduce the cooking time by removing the product from the smokehouse when it reaches an internal temperature of 125°F (52°C). Submerge in a 170°F (77°C) hot water bath until the internal temperature of the product is 152°F (67°C).
*You can achieve a good home emulsification by freezing the pork to 31°F(-0.55°C) before grinding it one time through a 1/8” (0.32 cm) plate, spread it out on a cookie sheet, refreeze, regrind, refreeze, regrind, up to four separate times.
*The USDA recommends cooking sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F (71°C).
*You may use soy-protein concentrate in place of non-fat dry milk.