Cheddarwurst Sausage Recipe
We finished our last batch of cheddarwurst over the weekend and couldn’t be happier with the finished product. The sharp cheddar cheese Karen picked up during her recent trip to Tillamook, Oregon, held up well throughout the sausage making process, imparting it’s own special tang to the finished product. Our site has more than 100 sausage recipes for you to choose from, including the following cheddarwurst sausage recipe, easy to make, delicious, and it's homemade.
1 lb cheddar cheese, diced (444 g)
4 lbs beef chuck, marbled (1.8 kg)
1 lb fresh beef fat (454 g)
2 1/2 tbsp pickling salt
1 tsp Prague Powder #1
1 tsp thyme powder (1.9 g)
1 tsp liquid smoke, optional (5 ml)
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder (4.65 g)
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder (5.75 g)
1 1/2 tbsp Ancho chili powder (12.6 g)
1 1/2 tbsp coarse black pepper (11.7 g)
2 tbsp corn syrup solids (27.6 g)
1/2 cup non-fat dry milk (47.3 g)
1/2 cup ice cold water (118 ml)
32-35mm prepared hog casings
1. Grind cheddar cheese one time through a 1/2” (13mm) plate. Spread cheese on cookie sheet and freeze overnight.
2. Chill beef and fat to 34°F (1°C), grind one time through a 1/4” (6mm) plate.
3. Combine ground beef/fat with remaining ingredients, mix well until mixture is batter like; gently fold in frozen cheese.
4. Stuff freshly mixed batter into hog casings, twist into 5-6” (13-15 cm) links, refrigerate overnight to cure.
5. Add wood chips, close vents, gradually (in half hour increments) raise smoker temperature to 170°F (77°C).
6. Hold at 170°F (77°C) until links reach an internal temperature of 152°F (67°C)*.
7. Upon reaching 152°F (67°C), remove links and shower with cold water until internal temperature drops to 110°F (43°C).
8. Hang cheddarwurst at room temperature for 1 hour to bloom.
9. Refrigerate up to 7 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
You can reduce the cooking time by removing the product from the smokehouse when it reaches an internal temperature of 125°F (52°C). Submerge in a 170°F (77°C) hot water bath until the internal temperature of the product is 152°F (67°C).