Bacon Breakfast Sausage Recipe
2 lbs beef chuck, marbled (907 g)
1 1/2 lbs pork butt (680 g)
1 1/2 lbs slab bacon, no rind (680 g)
1 1/2 tbsp table salt (32.9 g)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (1.1 g)
1/2 tsp cardamom (1.4 g)
1 tsp garlic powder (3.1 g)
1 1/2 tsp chili powder (4.2 g)
2 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper (6.5 g)
2 tbsp rubbed sage (7.8 g)
2 tbsp powdered dextrose (17.4 g)
1/2 cup ice cold water (118 ml)
22-24mm prepared sheep casings
1. Chill meat/bacon to 34°F (1°C), grind once through a 1/4” (6mm) plate.
2. Combine ground meat/bacon with remaining ingredients in a large bowl; mix well until mixture is sticky and batter like.
3. Do a taste test by cooking a small thin patty, cool patty briefly prior to tasting, then add additional seasonings to the meat batter if desired.
4. Stuff the seasoned sausage batter into prepared 22-24mm sheep casings; twist into 4” (10.2 cm) links.
5. To use bulk style, stuff meat batter into poly meat bags or shape the batter mixture into equal size patties.
6. Pan fry, grill, broil or bake fresh sausage at medium heat until it’s brown on
the outside and no longer pink inside.*
7. Refrigerate up to 5 days or vacuum seal and freeze up to 6 months.
*The USDA suggests cooking fresh sausage to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C) when checked with a quick-read thermometer. It takes about 10 seconds for the temperature to be accurately displayed with this unit.